Here we are again, on the border of summer and another new school year! It is a bittersweet time when we say goodbye to leisurely summer schedules and vacations, and begin to look ahead to a more regular routine, and thoughts of backpacks, lunchboxes and homework. Back to School is a bit like New Year’s Eve. There are often feelings of excitement, anticipation, and a desire to do better -be more studious, pro-active, and healthful. The first day of school is Monday August 27th. The last day of school is Thursday June 12th.
If you are new to the area, the San Ramon Unified School District has a very informative website. Please visit www.srvusd.net . The District office is located at: 699 Old Orchard Drive, Danville CA 94526. Their phone number is: 925-552-5500.
If you know which school your child will be attending, there will typically be a packet of paperwork to pick up and fill out prior to the first day of school. That packet usually contains things like a list of required books and school supplies, forms for immunizations, emergency contact forms, and school picture dates and information. A proof of residency is usually required upon registering your child for school. (Proof-of-Residency Residency is based on where you live, not what property you own)
Here are a few ideas to ease us all into fall:
1. Now is a great time to set up a quiet, well lit work area for kids to do homework, and if possible, where someone is nearby provide assistance and support.
2. It is recommended to take your child for a physical and eye exam before school starts. Most schools require up-to-date immunizations and often require documentation. Bring all health-related forms that the school requires when you visit the doctor. If your child will be participating in a sport, the doctor may have to sign a release form all students entering into 7th – 12th grades will need proof of a whooping cough booster shot (called “Tdap”) before beginning school.
3. Nutrition and exercise are important factors for children. Studies have shown that kids who eat healthful breakfasts and lunches, and get regular exercise are more alert throughout the school day, which can add to their confidence and performance. The whole family will benefit!
4. There are several choices when it comes to purchasing school supplies. Local retailers such as Staples, Office Depot and Target often have the required school supply lists for nearby elementary and middle schools.
Here are a few notable quotes about learning. Enjoy them and have a successful school year!
1. I hear, and I forget. I see, and I remember. I do, and I understand. – Chinese Proverb
2. Education is what remains when we have forgotten all that we have been taught. – George Savile
3. You learn something every day if you pay attention. – Ray LeBlond
4. Each day learn something new, and just as important, relearn something old. – Robert Brault
5. We learn more by looking for the answer to a question and not finding it than we do from learning the answer itself. – Lloyd Alexander
Visit San Ramon schools for more information and schools boundaries